In less than 2 minutes, get your
Personal Score for every job
21c Museum Hotels is seeking a General Manager to lead our newest property, 21c St. Louis, which is slated to open late 2022/early 2023. Because of the nature of this position and the pre-opening efforts involved, we look forward to welcoming a General Manager candidate to the team before the end of 2021.
Located in the heart of St. Louis, 21c Museum Hotels will bring the award-winning boutique hotel and contemporary art museum to the downtown area, restoring the YMCA building located at 1528 Locust Street.
Recent accolades – such as the Condé Nast Traveler Readers’ Choice Awards rankings – show that 21c is truly redefining the art of hospitality.
General Purpose: The General Manager is a strong leader, with a keen focus on the overall management of the operation of the hotel including revenue generation, profitability, guest service, product quality, overall cleanliness and maintenance of the property. Operation of the hotel will be within the framework of the approved 1) annual budget, 2) annual marketing plan, 3) annual capital expenditure plan, 4) annual wage plan, and always within the framework of all Company policies and procedures. The General Manager works in conjunction with F&B Director to lead the property.
Senior Leadership Team
· Leads the property Senior Leadership Team, in collaboration with the F&B Director, utilizing a participatory style. Be readily available and effectively communicate with each member, coordinate the operation of each individual's department and special projects, and assist with identifying problems and solutions. Guide the committee in addressing problems and opportunities in order to best serve the financial interests of the property.
· Develop an annual operating budget, which serves as an operating plan, a strategic sales plan including targeted RevPar Index goals, and defines required levels of achievement. Ensure achievement of the annual budget in revenues, costs, and profits through accounting diligence, expenditure controls, and proficient accounting practices.
· Follow up to ensure successful implementation and follow-through and take corrective action in the event of failure to meet assigned objectives.
· Maintain an ongoing awareness of property’s progress toward meeting revenue objectives and ensure challenges & opportunities are addressed appropriately.
o Regularly review sales plans and sales activities, room night productivity, group & banquet pace reports, and lost business reports.
o Assess individual and property performance, provide guidance and take corrective action as needed.
o Ensure designated sales & marketing reports are complete and submitted to the corporate team on or before the monthly due date.
o Should a significant, ongoing revenue shortfall occur, the GM will take corrective action in addition to increasing personal participation in direct sales efforts.
o Along with DOSM and Area Revenue Director, participate in weekly Yield/RevMAX meetings and evaluate rates & strategies for 30-60-90 days out including a review of group cut-off dates, prospective group business, historical data, and comp set rates. Along with the team, determine a revenue strategy that will best position the hotel for increased business and achievement of annual RevPar Index goals. In addition, ensure price adjustments occur on a timely basis.
· Participate in sales team meetings, meet key account contacts, and be present to welcome key account site visits.
· Participate in the creation & execution of ongoing property marketing initiatives.
o When possible, attend brand-property marketing calls and participate in the development of creative marketing initiatives.
o Ensure all relevant details including upcoming property marketing needs are kept up to date in the brand marketing calendar and are complete on or before the monthly due date.
o Oversee the development of annual sales and marketing plan and monitor implementation of action steps outlined in the SSP document.
· Monthly forecasting of operating teammate and cost expenditures. Business planning in line with forecasted sales and costs, including guidance to department heads.
P & L Statement Critique
· Review financial statements monthly in order to correct problems, ensure spending is in line and to plan for future business. Review and approve all expenses in "other expense" categories in all departments. Regularly review all major expenses to ensure that expenditures are thoughtfully dispersed.
· Develop a high level of “We Say YES,” and loyalty to the hotel and to the company in order to reduce turnover and increase employee morale. Communicate, counsel and assist with teammate development. Be visible and available to all hourly personnel in accordance with the Company's open-door policy. Attend monthly department employee meetings whenever possible. Conduct performance appraisals and personal development plans for management teammate. Identify substandard performance of individual managers and outline improvement action, including taking corrective or disciplinary measures.
· Ensure level of experience, knowledge and ability to meet job requirements of all hotel management.
Guest Service + Communication
· Demonstrate through leadership and example a friendly, courteous, service-oriented, “We Say YES” approach to guests that is expected from all hotel teammates. Establish and implement guest service standards for all departments, periodically reviewing and identifying problems and corrective actions.
· Respond to guest feedback through our guest survey portal and online reviews.
· Review controls and ensure adherence at all times in order to protect the hotel's property/assets.
Wage and Salary Administration
· Review all wage and salary increases assuring compliance with wage scales and compensation philosophies as outlined by the Company.
· Personally inspects guest rooms, public areas, back of house on a regular basis. Ensure that written lists of corrective actions, required for implementation by housekeeping, maintenance and operating departments are developed.
· Property Maintenance/Property Improvement Plan
· Ensure that an on-going program is followed in regular repair and upkeep of the facility, landscape and equipment by developing and implementing a preventive maintenance program.
· As part of the annual budget preparation, develop a Property Improvement Plan.
Cash Flow Management/Credit
· Routinely review cash flow with Regional Controller.
· Maintain credit policies for Front Office, Sales and Catering. Attend credit meetings and assist with developing action plans, supervise collection of major accounts, review aging reports and approval of write-offs.
· Represent the hotel within the local community, positioning the hotel as a good corporate citizen that is involved and supportive of community affairs.
Policies and Procedures
· Ensure that all Company policies and procedures are fully implemented throughout the hotel.
· Comply with property management agreements.
About 21c Museum Hotels
21c Museum Hotels is focused on creating unique hotels, chef driven restaurants, and art experiences that are as much a part of the community as the hotel. 21c’s team oversees the process from design to construction, concept development, branding, chef selection and menu development.
Currently, 21c operates a diverse roster of hotels and restaurants across the Midwest including Proof on Main, located in 21c Louisville; Metropole, located in 21c Cincinnati; The Hive, located in 21c Bentonville, Garage Bar in Louisville, KY, Counting House, located in Durham, NC, Lockbox, located in Lexington, KY, Mary Eddy’s Kitchen x Lounge, located in Oklahoma City, OK, Gray & Dudley, located in Nashville, TN and The Savoy in Kansas City, MO.
21c Museum Hotels is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristic. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm
Possess advanced knowledge in the following areas:
o Sales and marketing for rooms and events.
o Hotel accounting principles.
o Hotel maintenance and repair.
o Hotel housekeeping and general cleaning.
o Personnel management.
o Front office procedures.
o Yield management revenue.
o Hotel safety and security.
Demonstrate advanced proficiency or exceptional skill in the following areas:
o Excellent written and verbal communication.
o Planning financial strategies, delegating responsibilities to others.
o Leading/coaching others at various professional levels.
o Identifying and developing talent.
o Identifying and solving problems.
o Prioritizing and coordinating multiple projects simultaneously.
o Evaluating and resolving complex situations.
o Leading the teammate of the hotel utilizing a management style based in a participatory team approach.
o Meeting and greeting guests and employees.
o Inspecting rooms, all public areas and exterior of facility.
o Soliciting potential business.
o Using general office equipment, including computers.
o Be willing to get your hands dirty and be a jack-of-all-trades, when necessary.
· Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
· Minimum experience 3 years as General Manager or 5 years as Assistant General Manager at a similar quality and size of hotel.
· Extensive experience with boutique hotel sales and marketing.
· Extensive experience of successful partnerships with an asset manager.
· Extensive experience with revenue management.
|Address||1528 Locust Street, St. Louis, MO, 63103 View map|