An ideal General Manager candidate must possess extensive knowledge of hotel operations, a positive attitude, the ability to oversee all operations activities and departments in hotel in order to maximize revenue, deliver a positive guest experience and create an team atmosphere that promotes learning and mentorship.
General Manager Duties and Responsibilities
- The General Manager will provide exceptional customer service to all hotel guests, making their stay as comfortable and accommodating as possible while achieving team and Brand goals.
- Ensures that all policies, procedures, federal, state and local ordinances with regard to personnel, security, cash handling, guest relations and safety are followed.
- Maintains and improves property standards and service to ensure guest satisfaction and the right public image.
- The General Manager will develop annual budget and capital expenditure plans.
- Achieve budgeted revenue and profit goals, balancing cost with guest satisfaction.
- Prepare and submit on a timely basis operational results/reports to corporate office/owners.
- Ensure property hiring and all employee practices comply with company and legal requirements and strive for a culturally diverse workplace.
- Selects, trains, and directs department supervisors and other associates as necessary keeping them well versed in all policies and procedures.
- Accompany Sales Manager on sales calls and take ownership of the entire sales process
- The General Manager will become involved in the community and/or government affairs.
- Remain highly visible and be readily available for guests at all times.
- Thoroughly understand and implement the Brand service culture.
- Support team members to ensure the team's entire workload is completed daily.
- Perform other duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job functions.
General Manager Education and/or Experience
- Hotel Management, General Business or Marketing degree preferred.
- Two to three years of management experience preferred.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
General Manager Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to deal with management, associates, guests, and general public in a courteous, tactful, and patient manner.
- Ability to work in a fast-pace, high energy and demanding work environment.
- The hotel operates 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Department schedules must accommodate fluctuating business demands and associates may be asked to work shifts other than those they prefer or normally work and overtime as required.
- The General Manager requires a good understanding of revenue generation and profit/loss implications.
- Possess strong working knowledge of P&L statement.
- Ability to work as a team player with all levels of the hotel staff.
- Excellent guest relation skills.
- The General Manager requires strong interpersonal skills needed to cultivate customer relations and work with associates of various levels and backgrounds.
- Dedicated, hard-working, self-motivated to work independently with little guidance.
- Good computer skills.
- Good management skills.
- Practice safety standards at all times.